Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cat Bordhi Book One

The wait for "New Pathways for Sock Knitters" by Cat Bordhi was by all means worth it!!!

I can't tell you how much I'm lovin' this book!! I got my copy on Saturday August, 4, today is the 8th and I have done nothing but think and do socks. :-)

I'm not an expert sock knitter by any means......far from it. I enjoy knitting socks, but frankly I don't do it as often as I use to. What with the tragedies of my own personal Socktober, my enthusiasm for sock knitting has waned a bit. BUT it's been kicked, shoved, and manipulated into high gear since Saturday!!!

The book itself....beautiful layout and fabulous pictures!!! Several, many, LOTS of techniques spelled out and explained very well. A few I knew, many I didn't, which did make me do a lot of page flipping as I was working the patterns. This is purely a reflection on ME and NOT the book. I stick pretty much to the same old heel , same old toe, and same old cast on.....the book uses several that are new to me, again MY "problem" NOT the book!!! Of course this kind of learning is not a "problem" that's why I buy books...to learn. :-) I rarely buy a book for just patterns, I buy books that will teach me and nudge me to explore new things and boy did I hit the jackpot with this book!!!!!!!

Yes, there are patterns, LOTS of them, but also included are "Master Patterns" for every type of sock architecture to blow your mind and enable you to create your own individual sock. Plus there are "Master Patterns" for every toe, heel, and cuff, used in the book, whether they are toe up or toe down. And for those of you who use dpn's no fear, diagrams and explicit direction about where you're stitches should be and what needle you should be using.

There is also an EXCELLENT chapter with lots of charts and explanations that enable you to generate your own patterns in your own gauge for whatever foot you choose to knit for!!!
Ahhhhhhhhh

Flipping through the book that first day I was nearly overwhelmed. How on earth was I going to choose which sock to make first.......I did the sensible thing......I followed Cat's suggestions. I first made the two sample baby socks and now I have begun to work my way through the other sock types working the baby sock patterns in those chapters. So here they are........btw sorry if the color combos damage your retinas, I was just grabbing stuff from the odds and ends basket as I knitted merrily along. I also didn't give a hoot about gauge and yarn weight, I worked all of these in worsted weight on #5 needles.

Socks and booties on parade.......and one who went exploring on his own.



I've got two more sock architectures to work yet, but couldn't wait any longer to expound the virtues of this book!!


Foxglove architecture and Cedar Architecture




Upstream Architecture and Riverbed Architecture





Sky Architecture and Coriolis Architecture





I'm casting on for the Sidestream and Ridgeline today....maybe pix tomorrow, but you know how those promises go! :-P

I did take a break from Cat socks last night and created my own new sock....see I told you the book was inspiring. Now with a somewhat rudimentary understanding of Cat's concepts regarding sock design, I took the plunge and made something different. something Book Two of this series is going to address and I. CAN'T. WAIT. (I've got other ideas rumbling around in my spotty grey matter too...Cat, you've unleashed a monster I'm afraid) It's a sock that begins at the heel and goes from there, no seams, no grafting. I still have some tweaking to do for my instep increases (I wasn't thinking as clearly as I thought I was, I forgot that I changed my mind about how many instep stitches I was using...sigh) but with Cat's help it's not going to be a problem!!! Here's a pic for what it's worth....you know I'm lousy at taking pix but this bright white just kicked my butt!!!




Kinda silly to even post this pic huh.

Thank you Cat Bordhi for sharing your incredible mind.

3 comments:

  1. Hrmph! Not saying anything else! ;o) (o.k. still book less)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I can't wait to get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your enthusiasm is really inspiring!

    I read some of your posts over on Ravelry and came here to take a look at your wonderful parade of socks.

    As soon as I finish the socks I promised my niece (which should be this weekend) I am going to dive right in, too.

    Thanks for your encouragement!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete