Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Another Sweater and Neckwarmer

Greetings! I've been "dancing" again so several days have been literally lost. Not a good time of year to be losing days. Frankly no time of year is good for losing days, but that's how it is, how it's always been, so be it. Now on to what I did get done before the lost days.

Last Thursday before all was lost I finished yet another neckwarmer. They are like popcorn or potato chips, I can't stop myself.

This one has a 100% to-die-for silk outer shell and a cashmere lining. I want to fondle it constantly. And just think, it's a sage-y khaki color, hmmm wonder who this one is for....um yeah I'm selfish that way.


Next checked off in the finished column is this sweater. It's big, bulky, blue, and beautiful, no real pattern, I just winged it. Typical top down raglan big comfy 'comfort sweater' made with Lana by Tahki. It's a comfort sweater with two definitions, 1) perfectly simple, bulky knitting for the days proceeding and/or following dinner and dancing with Mr. M 2) one of those sweaters that you just want to wrap yourself in on those cold icky days that are fast approaching and read a good book while sipping a hot toddy of your choice. For the tiniest bit of interest I added a simple cable down the sleeves.


Does this blue looks familiar? Yep it is the yarn from the car coat sweater I started a while back. The one with the colorwork problems. Remember? I worked the sleeves in one pattern and the bodice in another that looked like a swastika. Um, yeah, that was an unfortunate ordeal. sigh.

Oh yeah and one more thing regarding the limitless mockery of that first attempted sweater with this yarn. Doncha think a normal person would have ripped it back to a spot just above the bad colorwork and then continue from there? Sure, of course, why not? Why rip everything just to do it all again? Right? Right. Ooops. I didn't even realize what I was doing until one day I picked it up to start knitting and was confused for a second as to exactly which piece I was knitting and which piece I was ripping as I knitted. I was at the point of equilibrium where both pieces of knitting were identical. The damn fairies got me one last time, I ripped and reknitted virtually the same damn thing. Oy.

In the not so finished column we have this sweater. Not much to look at I know, but I'm almost to the armholes just a couple more inches to go. I'm kinda fudging an old Bernat pattern circa 1964ish. It's actually a guy's sweater in their Cables and Raglans Book #130. I've changed the stitch pattern using a k2p3 instead of the faux 2 stitch mini cables with a purl, moss, purl pattern between the cables. It's a nice stitch pattern and I'll prob'ly use it someday but it is also an yardage gobbling stitch pattern and I'm using reclaimed wool for this. You know me and the constant struggle between me and the yardage fairy, nuff said.


Aside from the stitch pattern change I'm also adding a hemmed button band, see the row of slipped stitches that will be the turning?


And I've also added a hem at the bottom. See the purl row for turning?



I think, (I hope) this will ultimately become a nice sweater jacket. I considered putting a zipper in it like the original I've morphed this sweater from but instead I'll use some pewter clasps I've got. Then again that could change we'll see what happens. I'm really excited to get started with yoke/shoulder area. In the original the front(s) end straight across at the base of the neck. The back comes up over the shoulders and is seamed to the front and with a little bit of shaping becomes a standup collar. The sleeves are a very shallow raglan shape. It's interesting, I haven't seen many like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment