Friday, April 27, 2007

Furniture Refashion

Yesterday Joe and tackled another project that has been on the back burner for quite a while.

As you know, I'm an Estate sale junkie. One day I brought home a piece that defied all explanation in the eyes of all who saw it. I bought a gun cabinet. No, I do NOT have any guns that would facilitate the need for a cabinet, but I bought it nonetheless. I bought it for two reasons, I liked it, and it had potential. Ok, I guess you could throw in the fact that it cost less than $10 to the reasons I bought it also, but if it hadn't had the other two reason going for it I would have passed it up....honest.

This gun cabinet intrigued me. Nothing fancy, and very obviously handmade. I wish I knew the story behind it. I bought it from an estate, was this gun cabinet the first piece of furniture some newly retired aspiring woodworker made? Was it crafted by a grandson earning his Eagle Scout? I guess I'll never know the true history, but I do know that this piece of handcrafted Americana has found a new life in my home as a bookcase.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! That's the spirit! You can squeeze a book in anywhere! Maybe I should start going to estate sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative. I would have filled it with yarn though. hehehe

    Ty you for the comment earlier. It does give me a tickle. :I

    ReplyDelete